Shredded Chicken Adobo Taco is a cross-cultural mash-up. I think tacos are particularly well-suited for cross-cultural mash-ups!
Shredded Chicken Adobo TacosPrint This Recipe Total time Yield 6–8Source Adapted from Wes Avila Guerrilla TacosPublished
- 8 skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 8–10 cloves garlic (peeled and sliced)
- 8–10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 8 drop chile de arbol (stems removed)
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- warm (5‑inch) corn tortillas (or as needed)
- avocado-tomatilla salsa (see recipe)
- simple cabbage slaw (see recipe)
- 1 bunch green onions (white and some green parts , sliced)
In a large pot with a lid over medium heat, combine the chicken, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, thyme, chiles, bay leaves, peppercorns, and cinnamon stick and simmer partially covered until the chicken is well-glazed. Turn the chicken often to ensure even cooking and don’t let the pan get dry. Add a splash of water as needed. Total cooking time should be about 1 ½ hours.
Move the chicken thighs to a cutting board and save the cooking liquid in the pot. When cool enough to handle pull the chicken meat from the bones and shred into bite-sized chunks. Discard bones and return the meat to the pot with the cooking liquid. Let cool completely.
When ready to serve gently reheat the shredded chicken adobo. Spoon the warm chicken and some of the sauce onto warm tortillas. Top with a drizzle of avocado-tomatillo salsa, slaw, and scallions. Serve immediately.