Pickled Shrimp Toasts with Tomatoes and Whipped Ricotta
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil (plus more for bread slices)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt (plus more for seasoning)
- 2 teaspoon coriander seeds (lightly crushed)
- 18 medium raw shrimp (peeled, deveined, tails removed)
- 1 jalapeño (thinly sliced)
- 2 pound small to medium heirloom tomatoes (various colors would be nice)
- freshly cracked black pepper (as needed for seasoning)
- 1 cup whole-milk ricotta
- 18 slice rustic bread (cut into about 3x 3‑inch pieces, 3/4‑inch thick)
- chopped chives (as garnish)
- lemon wedges (for spritzing)
- hot sauce (optional, as garnish)
Pickle the shrimp: Stir together vinegar, ½ cup olive oil, 1 tablespoon salt, and coriander seeds in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over high. Remove the pan from the heat and add shrimp, and jalapeño slices. Cover pan and let stand about 10 minutes before uncovering the pan and stirring. Re-cover the pan and allow the shrimp and jalapeño to come to room temperature before using. Alternatively, the room temperature shrimp and jalapeño may be left in their liquid, covered and refrigerated up to 48 hours before using.
Prepare the tomatoes: Halve the tomatoes and then slice halves into ½‑inch-thick pieces; place on a plate, and season with kosher salt and black pepper. Set aside.
Make the ricotta: Place ricotta in the bowl of a mini food-processor fitted with the metal blade. Season generously with salt and pepper. Process until smooth and light, about 30 seconds. Set aside. You may alternatively whip by hand.
Make the toasts: Brush both sides of bread slices with olive oil.
Preheat grill or grill pan to high. Place bread on grill, and grill, uncovered, until toasted, about 1 minute and 30 seconds per side.
Assemble toasts: Spread about 2 tablespoons ricotta mixture on each toasted bread slice. Choose the nicest tomato slices to top toasts from edge to edge. You might not use them all. Nestle in a drained pickled shrimp and a couple of slices of jalapeños on top of each toast. Garnish with chives, a squeeze of lemon, and, if desired, a dash of hot sauce. Serve immediately.