White Asparagus with Oranges and tree ripened green olives makes a seasonal salad that is full of diverse tastes and textures.
- 1 small shallot (peeled and minced)
- ¼ cup Honey Ridge Farms balsamic honey vinegar (you may substitute 1 tablespoon honey combined with 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar)
- 3 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- ½ cup canola oil (or other mild flavored oil)
- 1 pound fresh white asparagus
- kosher salt (as needed)
- freshly cracked black pepper (to taste)
- 4–6 whole romaine leaves
- 2 oranges (peeled and cut into “supreme” sections)
- ½ cup ripe green olives (ripe olives are cured after ripening on the tree, most green olives are not, you may substitute ripe black olives)
- 2 cup loosely packed alfalfa sprouts or other micro-greens
Make the dressing: In a medium bowl or mason jar, combine shallot, honey balsamic vinegar, sherry vinegar, olive and canola oil; season with salt and pepper. Whisk or shake well to blend. Extra dressing may be kept covered in the refrigerator up to 1 week.
Steam the asparagus: Pour or spritz a little water onto 4 paper towels, just enough to barely dampen them. Spread out the paper towels and lay the asparagus on top of the dampened towels. Sprinkle with a pinch or two salt. Roll up the asparagus in the dampened towels, twist or fold the ends closed. Lay the bundle, seam side down, in the microwave. Microwave on high until the asparagus is just tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the microwave using tongs and carefully unwrap. Lay the asparagus on a rimmed baking sheet or dish just large enough to hold them in a single layer. Drizzle the warm asparagus with about ⅓ cup of the prepared dressing, season with salt and pepper. Set aside to marinate, turning the spears occasionally, at least 3 hours and no more than 8 hours.
To assemble: Lay the romaine leaves onto a serving platter. Bundle the marinated asparagus on top. Scatter the oranges and olives across the asparagus and garnish with a big mound of sprouts or micro-greens. Season with additional black pepper and serve immediately with dressing on the side.