Simple like the season enjoy this crab fennel salad outside on a beautiful day. It requires perfect tomatoes, preferably beefsteak. So serve this salad in the summer.
Tomato Slices Topped with Crab Fennel SaladPrint This Recipe Total time Yield 4–6Source Adapted from Susan SpungenPublished
- 1 ½ pound large meaty tomatoes
- 8 ounce fennel bulb (2 or 3 bulbs) with fronds
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ pound lump crab (picked over for shells)
- 5 ounce watercress (washed and dried)
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil (or as needed)
- ¼ teaspoon fennel pollen (optional)
- sea salt (as needed)
- cracked black pepper (as needed)
Cut the tomatoes into thick slices (about 3/4‑inch thick); set aside. Thinly slice the fennel crosswise, bulbs only. Pick through the fennel slices and discard any that are mostly core. Toss the slices with lemon juice. Save the fronds as garnish. Arrange the watercress on a serving plate, and top with tomato slices, lemon dressed fennel and the crab meat. Drizzle the olive oil on top; garnish with reserved fennel fronds and fennel pollen (if using). Season to taste with salt and pepper.