This is a sweet and spicy rub. Great for most any meat, but I love it with ribs.
makes about 1 cup
- 3 dried ancho chilies, stemmed, seeded and broken up
- 3 dried cascabel chilies, stemmed, seeded and broken up
- 2 dried arbol chilies, stemmed, seeded and broken up
- 2 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoon whole cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
Place the ancho chilies and the cascabel chilies on a lined baking sheet. Toast them in the oven for about 5 minutes. Then add the arbol chili pieces and toast an additional 4 to 5 minutes, until they are very dry and fragrant.
Grind the chilies to a very fine powder using a mortar and pestle or a food processor. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until just combined. Place the rub in a jar with a tight fitting lid and store up to 6 months.