Strawberry-Rhubarb Polenta Crisp from the Gjelina Cookbook
This is a large recipe. I divided both the finished dough and filling in half and baked them in separate 9x9-inch baking pans on different days.
- 155 gram unsalted butter (chilled and cut into ½‑inch cubes)
- 120 gram (plus 2 tablespoons) all purpose flour (divided)
- 80 gram quick-cooking polenta
- 65 gram (plus ½ cup) granulated sugar (divided)
- 1 large egg
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 pinch kosher salt (divided)
- 3 pound fresh strawberries (hulled and halved)
- 2 large stalks rhubarb (thinly sliced crosswise)
- 1 lemon (juice only)
Preheat the oven to 375°F
To make the topping: In a food processor, combine the butter, 120 grams flour, polenta, 65 grams sugar, egg, baking powder, and a pinch of salt. Pulse ten times or until a crumbly dough forms. Refrigerate until you are ready to use. (The topping can be made up to 1 week in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.)
To make the filling: In a large bowl, gently combine the strawberries and rhubarb with the remaining ½ cup sugar, remaining 2 tablespoons flour, lemon juice, and remaining pinch of salt.
Pour the filling into a 10-by-14-in baking dish. Crumble the topping over the top. Bake until the crisp is lightly browned and the filling is bubbling 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 40 minutes.
Put a generous scoop of the warm crisp into each dessert dish to serve.