Spicy Apple-Chorizo Hash. This is a riff on a Mexican chorizo hash recipe I’ve been tinkering with for years. It’s highly flexible. I always include chorizo and potatoes but the other element can change. I’ve done it with parsnips, avocado and even rutabaga! This time apples get their chance.
- 1 large tart, crisp apple (about ½ lb)
- 1 large red potato (about ½ lb)
- 3 tablespoon olive oil (divided, plus more as needed)
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper (as needed)
- 9 ounce raw Mexican pork chorizo
- 1 red bell pepper (halved, seeds and ribs removed and cut into ½‑inch dice)
- 1 onion (peeled and cut into ½‑inch dice)
- 1 medium jalapeno (halved, seeds and ribs removed and cut into tiny dice, optional)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and minced)
- 4–8 soft poached eggs (optional)
- halved radishes (optional)
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
Cut the apple and potato into 1⁄2‑inch dice. Place them into a medium bowl and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, season with salt and pepper, toss to combine. Spread potatoes and apples onto a parchment-lined, rimmed baking sheet, keeping them in as close to a single layer as possible. Roast in the heated oven 30 to 40 minutes until tender and beginning to brown on the edges. Toss them once or twice during roasting to ensure even cooking.
Meanwhile put a large, heavy bottom cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium heat. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and add chorizo to the skillet, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Cook, stirring and breaking up chorizo, until lightly browned and beginning to look dry and crumbly, about 10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer chorizo to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Leave the fat in the skillet, adding extra olive oil to bring the volume of fat to about 2 tablespoons if necessary.
Add the diced bell pepper, diced onion and diced jalapeno (if using) to the skillet which the chorizo was cooked. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Stir in minced garlic and cook 1 minute more. Turn off the heat. Gently fold in roasted apples, potatoes, and cooked chorizo. Turn the heat to low and cook, folding gently, until the flavors come together, about 2 minutes.
Serve warm with poached eggs on top (if using) and halved radishes on the side (if using).