Easy and elegant. These Smoked Trout and Beet Tea Sandwiches are not just for tea parties.
- 4 ounce smoked trout skinless & boneless
- 4 ounce cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 24 pieces of whole wheat cocktail bread, about 2 ½‑inches square
- 6 medium beets roasted, peeled and sliced in ¼‑inch thick rounds
In a food processor combine cream cheese, sour cream, and horseradish. Add trout and puree. Lay 12 slices of bread in front of you. Spread some of the trout puree in a thin layer on each one. Lay a single layer of beet slices on top of the puree, over hanging the edges slightly. Lay the remaining 12 slices of bread on top forming a sandwich. Working 2 or 3 at a time stack the sandwiches and use a serrated knife to trim the crusts off. Arrange on a platter and serve. May be made up to 3 hours ahead. Store, covered in a cool dry place.