Truffle oil gives this seared fish an elegant and unexpected combination of tastes and textures.
- coarse salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- vegetable oil, as needed
- .75 pound excellent quality albacore tuna steak, 2-inches thick
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce, or to taste
- 2 teaspoon white truffle oil, or to taste
- julienned basil, as garnish
In a medium-sized bowl prepare an ice water bath. Set it aside. Wash and thoroughly dry the albacore. Rub a pinch of salt and a very generous grind of black pepper on each side.
Heat a cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, until very hot. Pour a small amount of oil the skillet. Sear the albacore for about 1 to 1 ½ minutes per side.
Remove albacore and immediately submerge it in the ice bath for about one minute. Remove the fish and thoroughly dry it. Using a very sharp knife cut the fish diagonally across the grain in slices about ⅓-inch thick.
Arrange the fish and avocado slices alternating on a serving plate. Drizzle with the soy and truffle oil and garnish with basil. Serve immediately.