This is a deliciously simple meat and potatoes flat bread. The meat comes in the form of spicy Italian sausage. The potatoes are well, potatoes! Sausage & Potato Flat Bread with Mustard Greens.
- 1 3/4 teaspoon dry active yeast (from one ¼‑ounce envelope)
- 2 cup water (110 degrees f)
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for bowl
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4½ bread flour, plus more for surface
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing and drizzling
- 4 scallions, white and pale-green parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 leeks, well cleaned and chopped into ¼‑inch pieces
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound italian sausage, removed from casings
- 4 cup lightly packed mustard greens
- 1 cup raw russet potato, peeled and grated
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- italian parsley roughly chopped, as garnish
- very good olive oil for drizzling
Flatbreads: Combine yeast and water in a mixer bowl. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Add oil, sugar, and salt. Mix with the dough hook on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed to low. With the machine running, add flour, a little at a time, and mix until dough comes together. Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface, and knead until smooth and supple, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to an oiled bowl, and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours (or overnight).
Remove dough from refrigerator, and bring to room temperature. Place a pizza stone onto the center rack of the oven. Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
Topping: Melt butter with oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and scallions; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
Add Italian sausage to the same skillet, and set over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring and breaking meat into small pieces, until browned, 6 to 7 minutes.
Divide dough into 4 portions. On a lightly floured surface, gently stretch 2 pieces into 15-by-6-inch rounded rectangles; keep other portions covered. Place dough rectangles on a parchment-lined peel or inverted rimmed baking sheet. Brush with oil, and spread each with ¼ of the leek mixture, leaving a ½‑inch border. Top that with ¼ tof he mustard greens, ¼ of the sausage, ¼ of the grated potato, and then sprinkle with ¼ of the parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Carefully slide parchment with flatbreads off the peel or sheet onto the pizza stone. Bake until flatbreads are golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough.
Garnish flatbreads with fresh chopped Italian parsley, and a drizzle of olive oil. Cut into thick slices, and serve immediately.