If there were ever a little fishy in need of a makeover it’s the sardine. Un-loved and under-appreciated does not begin to describe the loathing attached to this surprisingly healthy and completely delicious tasting fish. I’ll start the makeover with a sandwich I know you’ll love, if you just let yourself.
- ¼ cup rice-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- ½ small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 slice pumpernickle bread, toasted
- 2 leaves red lettuce
- 4 ounce canned sardines packed in oil, drained plus 2 tsp reserved oil
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 pinch each kosher salt and black pepper
Bring vinegar, sugar, and peppercorns to a boil in a small saucepan. Add onions and remove from heat; let sit for 30 minutes, then chill. In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, horseradish, and lemon juice; spread mixture over each slice of bread, and top each with 1 lettuce leaf. Divide sardines evenly between sandwiches, and top with pepper and pickled onions. Drizzle with reserved oil, and season with salt and pepper.