A super healthy alternative to traditional “spaghetti”.
- 1 spaghetti squash (about 4 lbs) halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar, firmly packed
- salt and pepper, as needed
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, finely grated, plus more for garnish
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- ½ cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed or fresh peas blanched
- ¼ cup blanched hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Brush cut sides and cavities of squash with oil, and sprinkle with brown sugar, salt and pepper. Place squash, cut sides down, on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment. Roast until tender, about 50 minutes. Let cool slightly on the sheet set on a wire rack.
Use a fork to scrape the flesh into long strands. Place in a large bowl. Add oil, Parmesan, parsley, cilantro, peas and hazelnuts. Season with 1 teaspoon salt, and a good grinding of black pepper to taste. Toss and serve immediately with more cheese as garnish.