“This dill-and-chive-flecked yogurt dressing is a riff on Indian raita and Greek tzatziki, condiments that temper spicy dishes. It’s used here on a refreshing roasted golden beets salad with crunchy cucumbers and green apple.” – Martha Stewart Living
- 8 medium beets (preferably golden, trimmed )
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper (as needed for seasoning)
- ½ cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoon minced fresh chives
- 1 small green apple (such as Granny Smith, cut into very thin matchsticks)
- 1 Persian or mini cucumber (thinly sliced)
- 1 small jalapeno (seeded if desired, very thinly sliced; or to taste)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Drizzle beets with oil; season with salt. Wrap in parchment-lined foil and roast until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, about 1 hour. Let stand until cool enough to handle, then rub off skins and cut into ¼‑inch slices.
Whisk together yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, dill, and chives. Season with salt and pepper. Toss apple with 3 tablespoons dressing. Arrange beets on a platter; top with apple and cucumber. Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with jalapeno; serve.