These prosciutto wrapped grilled shrimp make an elegant looking appetizer. But the combination of orange zest with sambuca and salty prosciutto is what makes them a real standout.
- 24 large shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails intact
- ½ cup sambuca liqueur
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, plus more for garnish
- 3 tablespoon fresh rosemary, leaves and soft tips only, plus more for garnish
- kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 slice prosciutto (about 4 ounces)
Place the shrimp in a single layer into a shallow sided baking pan. In a small bowl whisk together the sambuca, olive oil, 1 teaspoon orange zest, 2 tablespoons rosemary, salt and pepper. Pour the mixture over the shrimp. Make sure they are well coated. Let marinate 10 minutes and then turn them over to marinate 10 more minutes. Carefully cut the proscuitto slices into thirds lengthwise. Try and keep each strip intact. Wrap a strip of proscuitto around the center of each shrimp, tucking a rosemary leaf or two between the shrimp and proscuitto. Heat a grill pan or outdoor grill to medium-high heat. Cook the shrimp, turning once until cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. As the shrimp cooks the proscuitto should shrink a bit making a very attractive looking appetizer. Transfer to a serving plate and garnish with a bit more rosemary and some orange zest.