In case you didn’t know neeps are rutabaga and tatties are taters! These savory cakes makes a great holiday side dish.
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened, plus more for tin
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper as needed
- 2 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary, plus 12 sprig tips for tin
- 2 small red onions, peeled & cut into 12 ¼‑in thick rounds
- 1 pound klondike goldust idaho potatoes, coarsely grated
- 1 pound rutabaga, coarsely grated
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Generously butter each cup of a standard 12 compartment muffin tin. Sprinkle each cup with pinch of salt, pepper, and ½ teaspoon sugar; drizzle each cup with ½ teaspoon of each kind of vinegar. Place a rosemary sprig tip decoratively in the center of each cup. lay an an onion round flatly on top; set aside.
Toss potatoes and rutabagas with chopped rosemary and egg yolks in a medium bowl; season with ½ teaspoon pepper and 2 teaspoons salt. Divide mixture among cups; dot each with some butter.
Bake until potatoes are tender and well browned, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Let cool 5 minutes. Run a thin knife around edge of each cup to loosen; invert, and serve warm.