I love cucumber and melon together. The addition of feta makes it even more memorable.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, peeled, halved and sliced into ¼” slivers
- 1 orange fleshed melon such as persian or cantaloupe
- 1 seedless cucumber, peeled and sliced into ½” thick rounds
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ cup whole mint leaves, loosely packed
- 4 ounce feta cheese
- ½ cup pine nuts, toasted
- limes, cut into wedges
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Heat the oil in a medium saute pan set over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring often until just beginning to soften; about 3 minutes. Remove the pan from heat and allow the onions to cool completely.
With a sharp knife cut a small slice off the top and bottom of the melon. Just deep enough to expose the orange flesh. Cutting from top to bottom remove the rind following the contour of the melon. Halve the melon, remove the seeds and cut into 1″ thick wedges. Arrange the wedges on a serving platter.
Toss the cucumber slices with the cooled onion slices, mint leaves and lime juice, pouring the mixture on top of the melon wedges. Crumble the feta over it all. Garnish with pine nuts, lime wedges and a good grind of black pepper.