Boil the pasta about five minutes before the tomatoes are ready. The warmth will bring out the flavors of the fresh ingredients in this Marinated Tomato Pasta with Fried Garlic.
- 1 clove garlic (peeld and thinly sliced)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 pound heirloom tomatoes (sliced into ½‑inch thick wedges)
- ¼ cup thinly sliced basil
- 3 tablespoon capers (rinsed)
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- ½ pound cooked and drained warm pasta (choose a nice chunky shape)
- whole basil leaves (as garnish)
Place garlic slices and oil in a small saucepan set over medium-low heat. Cook, swirling the pan occasionally, until lightly golden, about 6 minutes. Strain; reserve oil and garlic separately. Let cool.
Combine tomatoes, sliced basil, capers, red-pepper flakes, and salt in a large bowl. Pour cooled garlic oil over tomato mixture. Marinate, covered, tossing occasionally, for 30 minutes.
Add warm pasta to bowl, and toss gently. Garnish the pasta with garlic chips and additional whole basil leaves. Serve warm or at room temperature.