Little Gem Salad with Creamy Walnut-Apple Dressing is an updated version of an old-school iceberg wedge salad. When the little gems are sliced in half they become ideal vessels for holding the rich creamy dressing.
- 2 tablespoon minced shallots
- 2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- 2/3 cup toasted walnut pieces (divided)
- 2 tablespoon creme fraiche
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup walnut oil
- 1 small apple (peeled, cored and tiny diced)
- 12 LIttle Gem lettuce heads
- 2 tablespoon minced chives
- 2 teaspoon minced tarragon
- 18 white cheddar cheese crisps (see recipe)
Make the dressing: Place shallots, vinegar, salt, half the walnuts, creme fraiche, Dijon, and walnut oil in a blender. Blend until mostly smooth, but not entirely pureed. Pour the mixture into a small bowl, stir in apple and tarragon.
Assemble the salad: Trim off the end of each lettuce, leaving as much of the head intact as possible. Slice each in half lengthwise. Gently rinse each half and carefully dry, making sure to keep the leaves attached.
Arrange 3 or 4 lettuce halves on serving plates, drizzle liberally with the prepared dressing, garnish with remaining walnut pieces and 2 or 3 cheese crisps. Serve immediately.