Pick up these Vietnamese Pork Burgers with your hands and have a low-carb (messy) good time!
- 1 small onion roughly chopped
- 2 six-inch piece (tender bottom section only) lemongrass, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1¼ pound ground pork
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons asian fish sauce
- 2 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 thai bird chilies, thinly sliced cross wise (optional)
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 3 limes, juiced
- 2 heads of bibb or green leaf lettuce, 6 good sized, well-shaped leaves left whole; the rest roughly shredded- slaw style
- .75 cup cilantro, leaves only
- ½ cup carrots cut into â€œmatchsticksâ€
- ½ cup daikon radish cut into â€œmatchsticksâ€
- cucumber spears, peeled
Prepare the burgers:
Add the onion, lemongrass, and ginger, to the bowl of a food processor. Process until finely chopped and paste like. Transfer the onion mixture to a medium sized bowl; add the pork, 2 tablespoons fish sauce, soy sauce, salt, pepper, coriander and about ½ of the chili peppers (optional). Mix them all together using your hands to assure that it is evenly mixed. Do not over mix.
Shape the meat into 6 equal sized patties 3 or 4 inches in diameter. Refrigerate the patties at least one hour and up to 24 hours, so they are well chilled, and the flavors all meld together.
Pre-heat a grill or grill pan to medium high heat. Grill the patties about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare (if using a charcoal grill, you will know the coals are ready when you can hold your hand 5 inches above the coals for just 3 or 4 seconds).
Prepare the toppings:
Stir the shallot, remaining ¼‑cup fish sauce, limejuice, the remaining chilies (optional) in small bowl and set aside.
Toss the shredded lettuce, cilantro, mint, carrot and daikon matchsticks, and â€œsaladâ€œ style in a medium bowl. Add the dressing and toss well.
To serve place each burger onto a whole lettuce leaf. Top with the â€œsaladâ€ of lettuce, cilantro, carrots and daikon. Wrap the leaf around the burger to hole the toppings in place. Serve with the cucumber spears.