Crisp and tart this is an impressive Celery Mushroom Salad that shines partly due to its simplicity and largely due to the complex tastes and texture that belie that very simplicity.
- ½ pound crimini mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 10 pale inner celery stalks with their leaves from a couple bunches if necessary
- 1 lemon juiced
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup very good olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- pecorino romano, to taste
- coarsely ground black pepper
Put the sliced mushrooms into a large bowl. Pick of all the leaves from the celery and add those to the same bowl. Thinly slice the remaining celery stalks on a diagonal 1/8″ thick. Add then to the bowl and toss to combine.
Whisk together the lemon juice, zest, olive oil and salt until well combined.
Pour the dressing over the celery and mushroom mixture, tossing to coat. Shave large thin sections of cheese on top of the salad with a vegetable peeler. Topping it all with a good helping of coarse black pepper.