Mexico City is foodie destination. Innovative chefs are making their mark with dishes that are both creative and distinctly Mexican. This tequila jalapeño Mexico City cocktail is both cool and hot. It reflects the spirit of that fashionable city very well.
The drink on it’s own is not at all spicy. Once the jalapeño slices are floated on top the heat will begin to build. The slower you sip, the more heat you’ll enjoy by the end.
- 1 ½ ounce mezcal (or tequila for a less smoky version)
- 1 ounce Cocchi Americano
- 3/4 ounce fresh grapefruit juice
- 1/8 ounce simple syrup (or to taste)
- 1 pinch fine sea salt (or to taste)
- 1 thin slice jalapeño (or to taste)
Add the mezcal, Cocchi Americano, grapefruit juice, and simple syrup to a cocktail shaker half-filled with ice. Shake vigorously until well chilled. Strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass, sprinkle a tiny pinch of salt on top and garnish with a slice (or two?) of fresh jalapeño floating on top.