Take a delicious break from meat with this Hearty Tortellini Soup. It’s made with store-bought tortellini so it’s super simple.
You may want to halve this recipe and that works well. This soup is best if eaten soon after it’s made. When the tortellini sit in the broth too long they loose their best shape and texture.
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cup chopped fennel bulb
- ¼ package sliced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 16 ounce cremini mushrooms (quartered or halved depending on size)
- 8 cup unsalted vegetable stock
- 4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 (15 oz) cans fire-roasted chopped tomatoes
- 2 (15 oz) cans unsalted chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 6 cup stemmed and chopped curly kale
- 12 ounce cheese tortellini (store-bought)
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- grated Parmesan (for serving)
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms first release their liquid and the begin to reabsorb that liquid. Then add the onion, fennel, and garlic and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomato paste; cook 1 minute. Add stock, water, pepper, salt, and chickpeas; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow the soup to simmer 5 minutes.
Stir in kale. Gently add tortellini. Cook 8 minutes or until tortellini are done.
Remove from the heat and stir in the vinegar. Serve soup warm with grated Parmesan.