Grilled Treviso loses a little of the bitterness that some people find challenging about chicories. A wedge drizzled with Ottolenghi’s tonnato sauce makes a great starter.
- 4 heads fresh Treviso (stem end trimmed)
- olive oil (as needed)
- salt and pepper (as needed)
- tonnato sauce (to taste, see recipe https://www.sippitysup.com/recipe/ottolenghis-tonnato-sauce/)
- 16–24 tiny new potatoes (or about 4 potatoes per serving, boiled and halved)
- capers (rinsed and drained)
- minced chives
Prepare the grill or stovetop grill pan to medium-high heat.
Remove any discolored or wilted leaves from the Treviso, cut in half lengthwise. Place the Treviso halves onto a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil to coat all sides and in between some of the leaves. Season generously with salt and black pepper.
Move the Treviso onto the grill, cut side down, and cook until wilted and charred, about 3 minutes. Turn each piece over and grill another 2 or 3 minutes. Remove from grill.
Arrange the Treviso and tiny boiled potatoes on a platter, spoon tonnato sauce evenly over the top and sprinkle with capers and chives. Serve warm.