Grilled Snap Pea Toast with Mascarpone & Everything-Bagel Seasoning makes an impressive pre-barbecue appetizer that’s substantial enough to be the first course. Get the grill going.
Grilled Snap Pea Toast with Mascarpone & Everything-Bagel SeasoningPrint This Recipe Total time Yield 6–8Source Inspired by Greg DentonPublished
If you use bamboo skewers, soak them in water at least one hour before using them to grill the snap peas.
- 2 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon lightly toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon lightly toasted poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon flaky smoked sea salt (such as Maldon, or you can substitute any coarse salt) plus more for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried garlic flakes
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese (at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon cream
- 1 tablespoon honey
- kosher salt and white pepper (as needed)
- 1 pound sugar snap peas (stems removed, fibrous string peeled away)
- 2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil (or more as needed)
- 2 tablespoon melted butter (or more as needed)
- 12 slice rustic French bread (brushed with olive oil and lightly toasted or grilled)
- 6 ounce salmon roe
- ¼ cup minced chives
- smoked sea salt (optional)
Prepare the “everything” spice mix: In a small bowl, mix sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, smoked sea salt, onion flakes, garlic flakes and caraway seeds. Set aside. This is more spice mix than you need for this recipe, the extra may be kept tightly covered at room temperature (almost indefinitely).
Make the whipped mascarpone: Place mascarpone, cream, honey and a pinch each kosher salt and white pepper a medium bowl. Beat by hand or with a hand mixer until well-combined and smooth. Set aside.
Grill the snap peas: Meanwhile, preheat your grill to medium-high. Carefully thread 5 or 6 snap peas onto each of 12 (six-inch) skewers. Brush them on both sides with a thin layer of sesame oil. Grill the skewers on the hottest part of the grill until the snap peas start to blister, about 1 ½ minutes. Carefully flip the skewers and grill 1 to 2 minutes more. The snap peas should be nicely charred but not too soft.
Move the skewers to a baking sheet and brush them on both sides with melted butter, then dust them liberally on both sides with everything-spice mix.
Assemble the toasts: Spread some of the whipped mascarpone on each slice of toasted or grilled bread. Top each with a skewer of grilled and spiced snap peas, ½‑ounce salmon roe, additional everything-spice mix (optional), as well as a sprinkle of minced chives and smoked sea salt (optional).