Farro is an ancient grain with modern flair. It’s a healthy whole grain with a nutty taste. Here is it served with a tomato salad with basil & anchovies.
- 1 cup whole-grain farro
- 3 cup water
- 1 pinch salt, plus more as needed
- 6 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1 pinch freshly crackked black pepper, plus more as needed
- 1 cup halved ripe sweet 100 cherry tomatoes (about 24 tomatoes)
- 4 salt-packed anchovy fillets, rinsed and cut lengthwise into 3 or 4 strips each
- 1 small cucumber, sliced
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves
Combine the farro with the water and salt in a 2‑quart saucepan and cook uncovered at a bare simmer until just tender, 10 to 15 minutes. You should get about 2 cups. Drain and spread on a sheet pan so it will cool evenly.
Whisk together the oil, vinegar, and salt & pepper to taste. The vinegar flavor should be barely strong enough to detect.
Combine the farro, tomatoes, anchovies and cucumbers,and toss with just enough vinaigrette to coat. Tear The basil leaves, then fold into the farro. Taste again. Serve promptly, while the flavors are bright and clear and before the farro soaks up the vinegar.