This Farro and Spaghetti Squash Salad is one of Los Angeles’ favorite dishes from the popular restaurant Lemonade, which is known for it’s modern take on comfort food.
For a hot side dish alternative, omit the vinaigrette and replace with a pat of butter.
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ shallot (peeled and minced)
- 2 clove garlic (peeled and minced)
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juicw (about 1 lemon)
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (as needed for seasoning)
- 1 spaghetti squash about 3 pounds, halved lengthwise and seeds removed
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup farro
- ½ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese (about 2 ounces)
- 1 head baby roamine lettuce (optional)
To prepare the vinaigrette: Pour the pomegranate juice into a small pot and place over medium-low heat. Add the honey and cook until the juice has reduced to ¼ cup and is thick and syrupy, roughly 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
In a small mixing bowl or mason jar, combine the cooled pomegranate syrup, shallot, garlic, vinegar, lemon juice, and oil; season lightly with salt and pepper. Whisk or shake to blend and dissolve the salt; reserve at room temperature until needed. Keep any leftover vinaigrette covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
To prepare the squash: Preheat the oven to 375°. Drizzle the flesh of the squash halves with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place them, cut sides down, on a baking pan and roast until fork-tender, about 1 hour. Scrape squash with a fork to remove flesh in long strands. Put in a large mixing bowl.
To prepare the farro: Meanwhile bring a 2‑quart pot of salted water to a boil. Add the farro, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cover. Simmer until the farro is tender and the grains have split open, about 20 minutes. Drain and rinse with cool water. Add the farro to the bowl of spaghetti squash. Add the parsley and dried cranberries. Drizzle with the vinaigrette, season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Serve with baby romaine leaves (if using). Crumble the feta on top before serving.