Meaty portobello mushrooms and sautéed collards turn this easy grilled cheese recipe into a balanced vegetarian meal.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 medium portobello mushrooms (caps and gills removed and then sliced)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 clove garlic (peeled and chopped)
- 4 cup loosely packed, chopped black kale leaves (or other sturdy green such as collards)
- ½ cup water
- salt and pepper (as needed for seasoning)
- 8 slice good rye bread
- 4 tablespoon grainy mustard (or to taste)
- 8 sandwich sized thin slices Gruyere cheese
- 8 tablespoon unsalted butter
Chop the mushroom slices into ½-inch chunks.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add kale and water; reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Season with pepper and salt; set aside.
Brush one side of each slice of bread with grainy mustard. Lay mustard side up on a work surface and top 4 slices with one-fourth of the kale mixture (about ½ cup) and 2 slices of cheese each. Close the sandwiches with the remaining bread slices.
Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Melt the butter in the pan, swirling to coat. Grill the sandwiches in the melted butter until golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.