Curry-Tomato Relish. It’s a sweet and a little exotic, but I serve it slathered on plain old meatloaf sandwiches.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion (peeled, halved and thinly sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar (plus more if needed)
- 1 pound small tomatoes (halved, seeded, and roughly chopped)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper (as needed for seasoning)
Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook stirring often, until softened and just beginning to color. Add the sugar and curry and cook stirring often, until very fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the vinegar to deglaze the pan, then add tomatoes, water, oregano, and a big pinch each salt and pepper. Continue to cook until the mixture is thick and chunky and most of the liquid has evaporated about 15 minutes. Check the seasoning and adjust to taste with salt, pepper and/or more vinegar. Use immediately or store, covered and refrigerated, up to one week.