Make this wonderful Creamy Cod Stew recipe for a delicious hearty meal that can come together in less than 30 minutes.
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil (plus more for drizzling)
- ½ white onion (peeled and finely diced)
- 8 ounce red potatoes (sliced)
- 1 fennel bulb (trimmed, cored and small diced)
- 3 clove minced garlic
- each kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper (as needed for seasoning)
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 cup water
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 ½ pound skinless cod fillets (cut into 1 ½‑inch chunks)
- 2 cup fresh green beans (cut into 1‑inch pieces)
- 2 tablespoon chopped fennel frond leaves
- lemon wedges (for spritzing)
Heat ¼ cup olive oil in a large soup pot set over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring often, until softened; about 5 minutes. Add potatoes and cook, swirling or tossing occasionally, until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes more. Add fennel and garlic; season with salt and pepper and cook, swirling or tossing occasionally, until fennel is softened, about 2 minutes. Add wine, bring to a boil, and cook until almost completely evaporated, about 4 more minutes.
Add 2 cups water to pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook until potatoes are tender, 6 to 8 minutes depending on thickness. Stir in sour cream and cayenne. Add cod and green beans, cover pot, and simmer until fish is cooked through and just beginning to flake, 4 to 6 minutes depending on thickness.
Stir fennel frond leaves into stew; season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Serve with lemon wedges on the side for spritzing.