The flavors and textures in these Chorizo and Shrimp Tacos with Raw Tomatillo and Avocado Salsa seem to be designed to sit together on a warm tortilla. This is one of my favorites for sure. It comes from Wes Avila’s Guerrilla Tacos cookbook.
- 8 ounce Mexican chorizo (casing removed)
- kosher salt (as needed)
- 1 pound medium shrimp (peeled and deveined with tails removed)
- freshly cracked black pepper (as needed)
- 6 corn tortillas (warmed)
- raw tomatillo and avocado salsa (see recipe)
Place a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and a pinch of salt. Cook, breaking up the chunks until the fat has rendered and the meat is browned and nearly cooked through about 4 minutes. Add the shrimp and let brown, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and let them begin to blister about 2 more minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Divide the shrimp and chorizo mixture evenly among the tortillas. Top with a big drizzle of salsa. Serve immediately.