Black Forest Cookies: Dark chocolate chunks sweetened with bits of dried cherry makes decadent little treats.
You may use 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules dissolved in 2 tablespoons hot water
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 large egg (lightly beaten)
- 2 tablespoon strong espresso (see notes)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounce semi-sweet chocolate chunks or chips
- 2 cup dried cherries (each carefully cut in half with a sharp knife)
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or non-stick foil.
Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
Melt butter in a microwave-safe medium mixing bowl. Add cocoa and stir until smooth. Stir in the egg, coffee mixture and vanilla. Stir flour mixture into chocolate mixture in 3 or 4 additions until just combined. Fold chocolate chips and cherries into the dough until evenly distributed. Shape into generous 2‑inch balls using a 1‑ounce cookie scoop or 2 tablespoons.
Roll balls generously in powdered sugar, then arrange on prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake for 12 — 14 minutes or until cookies are cracked, yet still soft, do not over bake.