Tomato-Basil Caprese Stacks with Candied Pancetta. As simple and glorious as it should be yet topped with a serious burst of umami.
Feel free to make these stacks as tall as you like.
- 12 slice ripe tomato (centercut, about 3/4‑inch thick)
- salt and pepper (as needed)
- 6 slice fresh mozzarella (about 3/4‑inch thick)
- basil leaves (as needed)
- 6 slice candied pancetta (see recipe)
- balsamic syrup (see recipe)
- very good extra-virgin olive oil
Place a slice of tomato on each of 6 small plates; sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper then lay on a basil leaf or two. Top each with a slice of mozzarella and a basil leaf or two. Top each stack with another slice of tomato, a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and a slice of candied pancetta. Garnish with basil leaves and an artful drizzle of balsamic syrup and very good extra-virgin olive oil.