The Blackberry Old-Fashioned is a summery take on a simple, but classic cocktail.
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2–3 dash Angostura bitters (or to taste)
- whole fresh blackberries (as needed for muddling and garnishing)
- 3–4 medium ice cubes
- 2–3 ounce rye (or bourbon if you prefer)
- club soda (optional)
- large, wide orange peel strip
Place sugar in the bottom of an Old-Fashioned glass. Add two or three dashes of Angostura bitters and three blackberries. Muddle until the mixture until sugar is dissolved. Add ice cubes to the glass and stir.
Pour in 2 or 3 oz straight rye then add a splash of club soda (if using); stir again. Twist an orange peel over the top, garnish with additional whole berries (to taste) and serve with a stir stick.