2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
2 cups beef stock
1/2 cup Madeira wine
1. Melt the butter over low heat. Add flour and stir until smooth.
2. Add stock and cook until thickened stirring constantly.
3. Stir in Madeira wine, salt and pepper to taste, and simmer about 5 minutes.
Tournedos La Rue
6 filets of beef (2 inches thick, trimmed of all fat)
3/4 cup butter
2 shallots (minced)
1/2 cup brandy
2 tbsp chopped tarragon
1 cup Madeira wine
1 1/2 cup Madeira Sauce (see above)
1 large white truffle, thinly sliced (optional)
1. Saute filet slices in 1/2 cup butter as desired (rare, medium, well done).
2. Add shallots and saute 1 or 2 minutes.
3. Add brandy and flame it.
4. Place filets on a platter to keep warm. Add tarragon and 1/2 cup Madeira wine to sauce remaining in the skillet. Cook until sauce is reduced to 2/3 its original volume.
5. Add Madeira Sauce and bring to boil for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Remove from heat and blend in remaining Madeira wine and 1/2 cup butter.
7. Place the sliced truffles on the filets (if using) and pour the sauce over.