Bake these zucchini a good long time. They will get very tender and the pork juices will infuse them with subtle sweet notes. Baked Zucchini with Pancetta & Breadcrumbs.
- 5 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 large)
- 2 slice white sandwich bread, torn into pieces
- ⅓ cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano or grana padano cheese
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 medium zucchini, trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
- 4 slice flat pancetta (about 4 ounces), cut in half crosswise (substitue with prosciutto or bacon slices)
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a 12x12 baking dish and spread to make a bed for the zucchini.
In the bowl of a food processor, combine bread, cheese and rosemary. Pulse until bread is broken into chunky crumbs and mixture is combined. Put zucchini on top of onions in baking dish, cut-side up. Put 1 piece pancetta, prosciutto or bacon between each zucchini piece, then sprinkle with bread mixture and drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
Bake until zucchini is very tender, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Serve warm.