This is an unusual salad, it’s flavors are as fresh as spring. Understandably, baby celery may be hard to find. You may substitute the young, light colored inside stalks from a bunch of celery. Leaves and all.
The celery and mushrooms can be cleaned and prepped the day before. Store them separately in barely dampened paper towels and sealed into a plastic bag.
- 1 bunch baby celery, roots removed with stems left in tact
- ½ pound baby shitake mushrooms, cleaned and halved (or left whole depending on size)
- 2 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 6 tablespoon very good olive oil
- lemon wedges & a few minced mild flavored herbs as garnish (optional)
1. Divide the baby celery into 4 equal portions and lay them across individual salad plates.
2. Add the lemon juice and olive oil with a pinch of salt into a small bow. It is important to use the very best olive oil as every ingredient is key and cannot hide in this simple salad. Whisk the dressing together until well combined.
3. Toss a few mushrooms onto each plate and drizzle everything with the lemon dressing.
4. Serve with plenty of shaved or grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, lemon wedges and a very light sprinkling of mild herbs (optional)