Avocado toast layered with fresh ripe avocados and crunchy pickled radishes get an unexpected hit of heat from a dash or two of hot sauce. The luscious textures and contrasting flavors make one heck of a great bite.
Avocado Toast with Pickled Radishes and Hot SaucePrint This Recipe Total time Yield 6–8Published
- 4 breakfast radishes (or about 8 round radishes)
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar)
- 2 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6–8 slice whole grain bread (depending on size)
- high quality, European-style unsalted butter (at room temperature, or alternatively crème fraîche or ricotta)
- 2–3 firm but ripe avocados (depending on size)
- flaky sea salt (such as Maldon)
- hot sauce (optional)
Use a mandoline to thinly slice the radishes lengthwise. Be very careful, use a teflon glove or other protection for you hand, as small items can be tricky to slice. You may alternatively slice the radishes using a chefs knife.
In a medium bowl mix the vinegar, water, sugar, and ½ teaspoon kosher salt together until dissolved. Add the radishes, tossing to coat every few minutes for about 15 minutes total. Drain and set aside.
Lightly toast the bread; while warm generously butter one side of each slice (or alternatively slather each slice with crème fraîche or ricotta).
Peel and slice the avocados then immediately place 3 or 4 slices on each toast, followed by 5 or 6 radish slices. Lightly salt each toast and drizzle with hot sauce to taste (if using). Serve immediately.