Look for firm but ripe Alphonso mangoes (an Indian variety that is particularly sweet and buttery soft). However, you can make this pickled mango salad with any variety of mango.
Work over a bowl as you shave the mangoes to capture the juice.
- ½ red onion (peeled and thinly sliced )
- 2 fresh lime (juice only)
- 2-3 large ripe but firm alphonso mangoes (or other type mango)
- 1-2 Thai bird chile (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper (to taste)
- 1-2 tablespoon granulated sugar
Place onion in a medium bowl and add lime juice.
Using a vegetable peeler, peel mangoes: discard peel. Carefully shave mangoes top to bottom to create long, thin ribbons.
Place mango ribbons in the bowl with onion, and add chile, salt, and a few grinds of black pepper. Toss to coat. Add 1 tablespoon sugar, and toss again. Taste for sweetness and add additional sugar and captured mango juice to taste. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours and or up to 2 days.