- 3 tablespoon vegetable or corn oil
- ½ cup onions, peeled and cut into ¼" dice
- ½ cup red bell pepper, cored, trimmed and cut into ¼" dice
- 1 cup pre-cooked black beans
- 2 cup pre-cooked long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce, or more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoon cilantro leaves, minced
- lizano sauce to taste
Heat the oil in a skillet set over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until just beginning to brown, about 6 minutes. Add the red bell pepper, and cook stirring often until softened, about 2 minutes more Add the beans and some of their liquid. Lower the heat and stir for a minute. Add rice, Worcestershire sauce, salt and cilantro. You may need to add a tablespoon or so of water to achieve a neither dry nor soupy texture. Mix well and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve hot with eggs, toast, possibly fried plantains and the Lizano sauce on the side.
“Salsa Lizano” is a mild sauce used on every day cooking in Costa Rica.