Sweet Cherry Vinaigrette makes an unexpected dressing for a simple salad of arugula and manchego cheese. But it is also delicious spooned over roast chicken.
- 6 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 6 ounce sweet cherries (about 30 cherries, halved and pitted)
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 2 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoon aged balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- ¼ cup very good extra-virgin olive oil
- 1–2 pinch granulated sugar (optional)
Warm the water and honey in a small saucepan set over medium heat until the honey dissolves. Add cherries and poach without boiling for 2 minutes. Set aside to cool in the liquid, then strain the cherries, saving 1 tablespoon of the syrupy poaching liquid.
Place the minced shallot, sherry vinegar, balsamic vinegar, reserved poaching liquid, salt and pepper in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Pour in the oil, cover tightly and shake to emulsify. Set aside.
When ready to serve reshake the vinaigrette if necessary then gently stir in the poached cherries. Taste the vinaigrette, it may need a pinch or two of sugar to balance the flavor. Use immediately.