This is a spare version of a classic. These bell peppers are stuffed with tomatoes, basil and feta. Not much more…
- 2 bell peppers halved lengthwise through stem, seeds and ribs removed
- 2 cup cherry or grape tomatoes left whole, the smaller the better
- 2 ounce feta cheese, crumbled
- 10 large basil leaves, torn into pieces
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Place bell pepper halves, cut sides up, in a baking dish. If they do not sit straight and level, use a bit of aluminum foil to support them. Itâ€™s best if they cook level to keep the tomatoes and cheese inside the pepper.
Toss the tomatoes, feta, basil, and olive oil with the salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Fill each pepper with tomato and feta mixture, dividing it evenly among all the peppers.
Give the tops another good grind of pepper.
Bake the stuffed peppers, covered loosely with aluminum foil, until they begin to soften, about 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake them until tomatoes begin to burst and cheese turns light brown, about 15 minutes more. Remove stuffed peppers from oven, and serve warm with a drizzle of olive oil.