I made this with halibut because it is so seasonal in the springtime where I live in California. But any good firm fleshed fish will do. The sauce is very flavorful and great over steamed veggies or grilled chicken too. Steamed White Fish with Julienned Carrots and Spinach with Lemon-Green Onion Sauce.
- 1 tablespoon plus1 teaspoon, as needed and separated
- 1 bunch green onions, roots and half the greens removed
- 2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon shallot, minced
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- 3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 ounce baby spinach leaves (about 1 qt loosely packed)
- 6 6 oz pieces of halibut or other firm fleshed white fish, such as sea bass
- 8 ounce carrots, peeled, trimmed and cut into 1 ½” matchsticks
Sauce: Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add 1 T salt to the water. Add the green onions and blanch until they are bright green, and just softened; about 1 minute. Drain immediately.
Place the blanched green onions, vinegar, lemon juice, shallot, sugar, and pepper in a blender and puree for 20 seconds. With the blender running, slowly por the oils through the open hole in the blender top to emulsify, about 30 seconds. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Fish: Mix together lemon zest, with some salt and pepper in a small bowl. Bring a couple of inches of water to a simmer over medium high heat in a wok pan or sauce pan 2 inches larger than your steamer basket. The water level should be below the bottom of the steamer basket. Place one layer of the spinach leaves in the top of the basket and lay the fish on top of the spinach. Sprinkle about ¼ teaspoon of the lemon zest over each piece of fish, along with a grind of black pepper. Place the carrots in the bottom steamer basket and tuck the remaining spinach leaves around the carrots. Place the covered steamer over the simmering water and cook until the fish just begins to flake easily, about 10 minutes.
Divide the carrots and spinach between 4 dinner heated plates. Place a piece of fish on top of them and drizzle the fish and vegetables with 1 or 2 T sauce. Serve warm.