Slightly spicy, with the bold flavors of fried garlic and shallots these are nuts are addicting.
makes about 5 cups
- 5 cup mixed nuts, such as walnuts, cashews, almonds, pecans, and hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small shallots, thinly sliced crosswise into rings to yield about ¼ cup
- 5 clove garlic, peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
- ½ teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes, or to more taste
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the nuts in a single layer on 2 rimmed baking sheets. Toast until the nuts are golden and fragrant, 8 to 12 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through cooking. Transfer the nuts to a large bowl and set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic; fry until golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the shallots and garlic to paper towels. Set aside.
Melt the butter and pour it over the nuts. Add the rosemary, red pepper flakes, brown sugar, and salt and stir well to combine. Toss in the crispy garlic and shallots. Serve warm. The nuts may be reheated in a 300 degree F. oven for 10 minutes.