Chili paste and fish sauce give these spicy grilled shrimp a Thai-inspired flair. Grilling allows the shrimp to show its smoky side.
- ½ cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Asian chili paste (such as sambal oelek)
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (for oiling the grates)
- 36 large shrimp (peeled and deveined, tails left intact)
Soak 12 wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes to prevent charring.
Meanwhile, make the sauce: Bring sugar and lime juice to a simmer in a small saucepan. Cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in lime zest, chili paste, and fish sauce. Season with salt.
Make the shrimp: Heat grill to high. Brush grates with oil. Thread 3 shrimp onto each skewer; season with salt. Divide sauce in half; reserve half for serving. Grill shrimp for 1 minute; brush with sauce. Flip, and grill for 1 minute more; brush with sauce again. Flip, and grill, brushing occasionally with sauce, until opaque, 1 to 3 minutes more. Serve with reserved sauce.