This is a simple and rustic presentation of Spicy Clams with Abruzzese Sausage is full of flavor.
serves 4 as a first course
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 18 clove garlic, peeled and left whole
- ½ teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes, or to taste
- 2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14½ oz) can crushed tomatoes with juice
- 1 eight-inch piece of abruzzese sausage, cut on the diagonal in ¼ inch thick slices
- 3 pound clams, scrubbed
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup chopped italian parsley leaves
Heat the oil in a large, heavy stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the whole garlic cloves and let them cook undisturbed for several minutes until one side begins to get quite brown. Then stir the garlic and continue cooking until browned on all sides, stirring occasionally.
Add the chopped shallots and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add the red-pepper flakes and cook a moment more. Add the wine; bring the liquid to a boil. Add the tomatoes and sausage slices. Lower the heat and simmer the pot, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Add the clams to the pot covering it with a tight fitting lid immediately. Continue to cook the clams, shaking the pot once in a while, until the clams open, about 6–8 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and add the parsley. Serve immediately with good crusty bread.