There are quite a few contrasting tastes and textures in this Smoked Salmon Salad with Pineapple and Chard. The hot and zesty sauce it’s dressed in would also be good with steamed bok choy or served with grilled fish or shrimp.
- ½ cup fresh lightly packed cilantro sprigs cilantri sprigs
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoon Sambal Oelek chili paste
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1 teaspoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 green onion (whites and greens, sliced)
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds
- ¼ cup canola oil (or other light flavored oil)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 — 1 ½ pound smoked salmon (skin removed and torn into bite size pieces)
- 1 bunch Swiss chard (stems removed and leaves cut crosswise into bite size strips)
- 1 cup diced fresh pineapple
- ½ cup toasted cashews (roughly chopped)
- ½ cup lightly packed cwhole cilantro leaves
Make the chili-coriander sauce: In blender combine cilantro, mirin, vinegar, chili paste, garlic, ginger, green onion, coriander seeds, oil, salt and pepper. Process on high speed for at least 1 minute, scraping the sides as needed, until the seeds are well ground. Pour into a small jar. Set aside, covered and refrigerated, up to 5 days.
In a large bowl toss the salmon, chard, pineapple, together with about ½ cup of the chili-coriander sauce (or to taste). Spread the mixture out onto a serving plate. Garnish with cashews and whole cilantro leaves. Serve immediately.