Sautéed Green Beans with Pancetta and Pine Nuts. The title pretty much says it all. What’s not to like? This recipe takes several of my favorite ingredients and artfully combines them into a side dish that’ I’d happily eat as a meal all on its own.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounce pancetta, cut into ¼ inch dice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup thinly sliced leek (white and pale green parts only, well washed)
- 2 clove garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1 pound green beans (stem end trimmed)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
- 3 tablespoon toasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley
- kosher salt (for seasoning)
- freshly cracked black pepper (for seasoning)
Heat oil in large cast iron or non-stick pan over medium heat. Add pancetta and sauté, stirring frequently to brown all sides, until crisp and lightly golden. Use a slotted spoon to move the browned pieces to a paper towel to drain. Leave the fat in the pan.
Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan, raise the heat to medium-high. Add leek and garlic then sauté until slightly softened, about 1 minute. Add green beans and sauté until tender crisp, 3–4 minutes more.
Add lemon and orange zest, toasted pine nuts and parsley; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Season to taste with and salt and pepper. Serve immediately.