It’s no secret that I love rutabagas. Here they are sauteed “homefries” style with a bit of sweet and a bit of heat.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 pound rutabaga, peeled & cut into 3/4‑inch dice
- 4 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 pinch kosher salt, to taste
- 3 tablespoon fresh mint, chooped
Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan set over medium heat, until very hot and nearly smoking. Add the rutabaga dice, and cook stirring often, until golden brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, vinegar and maple syrup. Bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally until the liquid is reduced to a syrup, about 1 minute. Season with salt. Remove from heat, toss with mint and serve.