This is a super flavorful, easy meal. If you have never had Jerusalem artichokes, also known as sunchokes, they will quickly become a favorite.
Roasted Chicken Breasts & Jerusalem ArtichokesPrint This Recipe Total time Yield 4Source Adapted from Martha Stewart LivingPublished
- 4 large chicken breasts bones in and skin attached
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lemons
- 16 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
- 1 pound small uniformly sized jerusalem artichokes, peeled and kept in acidulated water
- 8 shallots, halved
- 3 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup small green olives, pitted (i use lindsay)
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Rub chicken breasts on all sides with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Then liberally season them with salt and pepper.
2. Place chicken into a shallow sided roasting pan or jelly-roll sheet pan. Arrange the chicken in a single layer leaving as much room between each breast as possible. Set aside
3. Zest one of the lemons into long strips. Zest the other lemon with a fine grater such as a micro-plane. Keep the zests separate and set them aside. Juice both lemons into a small bowl and set it aside.
4. Combine the strips of lemon zest, whole garlic cloves, Jerusalem artichokes, halved shallots, and 2 tablespoons of the thyme leaves. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season well with more salt and pepper.
5. Pour this mixture over the chicken, tossing as you go until all the chicken is well coated.
6. Roast the chicken until golden brown, about 40 minutes.
7. Carefully remove the hot chicken from the oven, and add the reserved lemon juice, wine, and olives. The pan will sizzle, so quickly scrape up any of the crusty brown bits and deglaze as well as you can with the chicken still in the pan. Scatter the diced butter cubes all around the pan.
8. Return the pan to the oven, and cook an additional 10–15 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly.
9. Remove the chicken from the oven and transfer everything to a large serving platter. Garnish with the remaining grated lemon zest and serve hot