This is Paula Wolfert’s version of a Provencal pistou sauce. Which makes it a classic in my book. It’s the traditional condiment for soup au pistou. But it’s also great on grilled vegetables, meats or seafood.
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4½ cup basil leave torn into pieces each (2 ounces)
- ¼ cup coarsely grated roma tomoatoes
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely grated mimolette or slightly aged gouda (3 ounces)
In a large mortar, pound the garlic with the salt to a paste. Add the basil by the handful and grind the leaves against the side of the mortar until almost smooth. Stir in the tomatoes, and then gradually stir in the olive oil until it’s incorporated. Stir in the cheese and refrigerate until ready to serve.